Re: Reporting bugs and bisection

From: Ilpo Järvinen
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 15:31:19 EST

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:43:49 -0700 Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'll be writing a report with more details about this soon with more analysis and statistics
> > (I'll be looking at more detail around the top 25 issues, when they got introduced, when they got fixed etc)
>
> Well OK. But I don't think we can generalise from oops-causing bugs all
> the way to all bugs. Very few bugs actually cause oopses, and oopses tend
> to be the thing which developers will zoom in on and pay attention to.
>
> If we had metrics on "time goes backwards" or anything containing "ASUS",
> things might be different.

Even oopses have pitfalls, like in 25-rcs where those WARN_ON TCP
backtraces were due to three different bugs (there might be fourth one
still remaining). ...kerneloops.org didn't even make difference between
different WARN_ONs in a function though that would have helped only little
in the case of 25-rc TCP because of different bugs causing failures in the
same invariant.

--
i.