Re: Reporting bugs and bisection (was: Re: 2.6.25-rc8: FTPtransfer errors)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 06:19:16 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We dont' do that as much nowadays - there's a tendency to
>
> a) throw the problem back at the reporter, often asking them to
> bisect. If the reporter is running a distro kernel (eg: Fedora)
> then that's quite hard, and often isn't a think they have knowledge
> to do. So they'll just disappear. Or
>
> b) just ignore the report altogether.

hm, who does this - i've seen networking folks do it but does anyone
else do it? Such cases are _clear_ abuse of users and they'll do the
obvious thing: vote with their feet.

I only ask people to bisect it when all other avenues fail - and even
then i try to make it clear that bisection is just something they can
_optionally_ do to speed things up (it's never required), and that it's
a pure opt-in.

doing _kernel_ bisection is totally hard at the moment - it disrupts the
user way too much and causes many hours of work for most users. [
Requiring bisection for userspace projects might be more doable. (but
even there's it's wrong when it's not automated completely and where a
failure pattern is not deterministic.) ]

Ingo