Re: x86 git tree broken (bisected)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 05:16:28 EST

* Yinghai Lu <yhlu.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Attached is dmesg output from current x86.git with
> > debug_gart_checking.patch applied.
>
> please test the final one ... ...
>
> You should get back 64M memory back.

so basically with all the right patches applied, and GART set to 32MB in
the BIOS, Rafael should have more free RAM on his system than ever
before :-)

i've put all the patches into x86.git/latest (it's all uploaded already
as well), so that should give Rafael a one-stop shop to test it out. [i
have not applied the debug patch that changes the aperture test from
32MB to 64MB, and it should be unnecessary as well]

btw., Yinghai, should we perhaps add a WARN_ON() to those places where
we waste RAM (such as the "This costs you 64 MB of RAM" message) - so
that kerneloops.org can pick those warnings up? Maybe there are other
situations where we waste RAM, and people dont realize it.

Ingo