Re: 2.6.25-rc8-mm2: CONFIG_ATA_SFF: panic involving mount_block_rootand down the road

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 20:46:36 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Now raise hands those who knew that your ATA controller is SFF
compliant.

/me raises a hand.

Is there any technical reason why we have to bother users with the ATA_SFF option at all?

It sounds like a perfect canndidate for being select'ed.

'default y' is appropriate, but option that is used to disable a major swath of legacy code unneeded on modern FIS-based SATA platforms like AHCI.

Heh.. yeah, but I have to admit SFF support is cryptic. We can definitely use some friendly explanation there.

--
tejun