Re: 2.6.25-rc8-mm2: CONFIG_ATA_SFF: panic involvingmount_block_root and down the road

From: Alexey Dobriyan
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 21:03:53 EST

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 03:43:45AM +0400, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> Pekka fixed SLUB for me, and now core2 box survives up and including to
> not finding / :
>
> Setup is SATA disk with plain old partitions, nothing lvmancy:
>
> /dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
>
> CONFIG_ATA=y
> CONFIG_ATA_ACPI=y
> CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
> CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y
> CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON=y
>
> sda1 is for swap.
>

> [ 3.920000] NET: Registered protocol family 1
> [ 3.920000] VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)

The winner is partly me, partly git-libata-all.

The latter introduced CONFIG_ATA_SFF option and put more or less every
SATA and PATA driver under it. The former honestly answered N to when
ATA_SFF popped up and failed to check existence of ATA_PIIX and
PATA_JMICRON in failing .config .

Now raise hands those who knew that your ATA controller is SFF
compliant.