Re: [patch] e1000=y && e1000e=m regression fix

From: david
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 19:55:26 EST

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Linus Torvalds wrote:
.. but that said, I think your patch is certainly better than what we have now (or what Ingo was complaining about for the next merge window). I certainly could live with it. I would just suggest against ever then removing that "generic E1000" choice.

You mean never ever remove PCI-E support from e1000?

Won't that will inflict long term headaches on the people that matter most -- users and maintainers -- to avoid short term headaches for kernel power users?

no, it sounds like he's saying make the E1000 option select both E1000_PCI and E1000_PCIE (which could be selected seperately) and never remove the E1000 option.

after people trust the E1000e driver the PCI ids can be removed from E1000, but people who only select E1000 will continue to work becouse the build system will now build both the PCI and PCI-e drivers when E1000 is selected.

David Lang