Re: [regression] e1000e broke e1000

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 11:41:30 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

well, your 2.6.26 plans, if i understand them correctly, is to move currently working PCI IDs from e1000 to e1000e, like you attempted to d it in v2.6.24, which Linus reverted - correct? I.e. e1000 simply wont support eth0 on my T60 from 2.6.26 on? That is still an incredibly stupid plan, and no amount of announcement on lkml will make it any less stupid.

It seems like you're saying that once hardware is supported by a particular config option, it can never ever be split out to another config option, even if it makes both drivers cleaner.

A similar situation happened when the sk98lin driver was split into skge and sky2...I don't remember a big fuss back then. Is it just that no major developers were using the hardware so they didn't notice?

Chris