Re: regression caused by: genirq: do not leave interupts enabled on free_irq

From: Yinghai Lu
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 03:14:24 EST

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> > last week found:
> > after latest kernel kexec RHEL 5.1 or other stack kernel, the nvidia
> > forcedeth doesn't work anymore.
> >
> > I stared at forcedeth.c two days. and revert every patches about that
> > doesn't help.
>
> So forcedeth does not come up again, when you kexec from linus.git
> into an older distro kernel. Or is it the other way round ?
RHEL 5.1 kexec RHEL 5.1 : works
RHEL 5.1 kexec linus kernel: works
linus (after -rc2) kexec linus tree: works:
linus (after -rc2) kexec RHEL 5.1 : forcedeth will not come up
linus ( before -rc2 include rc2) kexec RHEL 5.1 works

> Does a non kexec boot work ?

Yes

> > and figure out 2.6.25-rc2 works.
> >
> > with git-bisect found
> >
> > commit 89d694b9dbe769ca1004e01db0ca43964806a611
> > Author: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Mon Feb 18 18:25:17 2008 +0100
> >
> > genirq: do not leave interupts enabled on free_irq
> >

> > caused the regression.
> >
> > it affected all my servers that are using Nvidia MCP55.
> >
> > maybe we need to revert that patch.
>
> Which causes an interrupt storm on the enabled irq line, when the
> interrupt line is still active for whatever reason. So we trade one
> badness vs. the other.
>
> Reverting the patch is not going to give us any answer about the real
> problem.

but that interrupt storm bug already happend from .21 to .24

> Is there anything in dmesg, which might give us an hint about that ?

everything looks normal.

YH