Re: mpparse merge

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 06:14:36 EST

(Cc:-ing lkml because obviously others are interested in this topic too)

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Refering to
>
> commit 9d92083afb7cabe86c166dce9cc569eabbbd6f99
> Author: Alexey Starikovskiy <astarikovskiy@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri Apr 4 23:43:18 2008 +0400
>
> x86: merge mpparse_{32,64}.c
>
> in linux-next.
>
> About half of the ifdefs seem to be because 32bit does irq compression
> and 64bit does not. Len removed that at some point, but when the files
> are merged I would rather just readd 64bit irq compression (or move
> 64bit over to per cpu vectors) than have this ifdef jungle

the way Alexey did it is the safest way of doing unifications: keep it
simple and finegrained first, keep the more complex steps to later. We
try to stick to that even if there's a temporary jungle of #ifdefs. In a
related discussion (which was unfortunately private too so no URLs) you
suggested to Alexey to redesign the mp-parsing code first, then unify
it. That's the worst possible approach to unification and i advise
everyone against doing it that way. I very much agree with unifying irq
vector management - it's not a simple task at all.

Ingo