Re: [patch] eventfd/kaio integration fix

From: Jeff Roberson
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 15:32:16 EST

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Davide Libenzi wrote:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
Davide Libenzi <davidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jeff Roberson discovered a race when using kaio eventfd based
notifications. This patch fixes the race by moving the notification inside
the spinlocked section of kaio.

Missing information.

What are the consequences of this race, when it occurs?

This was described in the original email. I posted a patch back then
(waiting for Jeff test feedback - that never came), but then I forgot
about it till now:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/e814b54c14198616

I was thinking about stirring this up again myself. Testing was complicated by several factors. None of them related to this patch. However, I feel confident that this has solved our issue.

Jeff

The operation is safe since eventfd
spinlock and kaio one are unrelated.

Yes, it's safe from that perspective.

However with this patch applied, we will no longer run eventfd_signal() if
kiocbIsCancelled(iocb). Convincing is needed, please?

This was the intended behaviour. No event was actually *ready*, so no need
to signal completion of an event.

- Davide