Re: [patch] checkpatch: relax spacing and line length

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 13:28:36 EST

Benny Halevy wrote:
> Stefan Richter in http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/26/523 commented:
>> Jan Engelhardt, Benny Halevy, and Richard Knutsson wrote:
>> > -Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8 characters.
>> > -There are heretic movements that try to make indentations 4 (or even 2!)
>> > -characters deep, and that is akin to trying to define the value of PI to
>> > -be 3.
>>
>> Don't do this
>
> Again, I see no real reasons why not to besides being against Stefan's
> preferences.

BTW, my preference was about keeping the last traces of witty language
in this text, not about any particular whitespace language.

(Do you have an idea who wrote the sentences which that patch wanted to
delete, and more importantly, *why* he wrote it this way? You
apparently don't yet, but maybe you think about it once more. Thanks.)
--
Stefan Richter