Re: [Regression: 2.6.25-rc5: Blank Screen: Intel 945]

From: Justin Madru
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 00:57:21 EST

Jesse Barnes wrote:
Yeah, seems pretty weird. Given that you see it w/o the fb stuff loaded as well and we still have a few open bugs against the intel X driver regarding VT switch & mode programming, I don't think this is a real kernel regression. It's more likely that some timing or memory layout changed subtly and is causing to to hit one of our existing bugs more frequently that you did before. Can you file a bug against the intel X driver at bugs.freedesktop.org so we can track it there? Unless we can find a way to reproduce it reliably it'll probably take a long time to fix, but we don't want to lose it either...

Well, I'll file a bug on bugs.freedesktop.org, but if you don't think it's a kernel regression then I'll wait until the final release of 2.6.25 comes out (unless you _really_ need me to file it sooner).

I still think it's somehow related to something that changed in the kernel from v24 to v25 because I've never had it happen with a kernel version less that 2.6.25. You say it's a timing issue; I've searched and found two things that have changed in v25: Preemptive RCU and I/O Port Delay.

I've enabled both preemptive RCU and no I/O port delay. I've recompiled with both disabled and found that the blank screen _still_ happens. So, I'm figuring that _maybe_ by adding these options the kernel developers needed to change something that exposes something related to the intel X.org driver that's no longer necessarily true
(or something like that - do you get what I'm trying to say).

This is what I have in my config:
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
CONFIG_IO_DELAY_NONE=y

By the way is the intel driver that you work on the same that's enabled by:
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915=m

Or is there another X.org intel driver? And if so how are they (agp/drm/X.org) related?

Justin