Re: [regression] e1000e broke e1000

From: Dan Noe
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 16:39:47 EST

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 04:12:29PM -0400, Dan Noe wrote:
It would be nice if lspci could display what driver had claimed a particular device

You need to upgrade to a more recent version of lspci -- it already does
this ;-)

Hah, thanks. That is useful and very new :) I built a newer lspci and I see it is now displayed with the -k option.

Maybe 'status' would be a better name than 'broken'. We could even
default it to 'unclaimed' then. Or 'driver_status' to avoid conflicting
with some bus that might have a 'status' bit we try to report through
sysfs.

I agree however that the opportunity for more status would be good. And status is a better name than "broken". This way it is easy to scan all devices on the system via sysfs and easily visualize via lspci or some other tool:

1) Unclaimed devices

2) Devices that aren't working properly - and why (please something more than "This device is not working properly" :)

3) Devices that are claimed and working properly

Cheers,
Dan

--