Re: 2.6.25-rc8-mm1 (mips build failure)

From: Ralf Baechle
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 06:57:47 EST

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 03:17:22PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > The reason for MIPS doing things a little different is that the resulting
> > <asm/asm-offsets.h> doesn't look like machine generated jibberish. So
> > how about below patch which combines the two sed expressions.
>
> Well but it is machine generated and it may be best if mips would do more
> of the same that is done in other arches? We do not want special arch
> cases in Kbuild.
>
> How about this patch?

Almost. It compiles into a usable header but breaks the text() macro
which is used to emit a commit (actually any string literal) into the
output:

> #define text(t) __asm__("\n@@@" t)

> void output_ptreg_defines(void)
> {
> text("/* MIPS pt_regs offsets. */");

With your patch nothing will be emited. The existing non-MIPS sed
expression in Kbuild doesn't allow for that which is why I added the
handling of @@@-prefixed strings to the sed expression. And once that
is there the remaining asm-offset.c change is no longer needed.

Ralf