Re: ASUS ScreenDuo

From: david
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 15:57:23 EST

On jeu, 2008-04-03 at 11:37 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Xavier Bestel wrote:

Hi,

I have an ASUS motherboard with an USB gadget, the ASUS ScreenDUO. It's
an independant little lcd screen with buttons, apparently it runs some
kind of OS because it can access the net (e.g. to retrieve RSS) even
when the computer is off - I guess they mean soft-off.

Well, all that is theory because it's under Vista, which I don't have.
Under Linux the ScreenDUO is kind-of recognized: it says it's a mass
storage device, but I can't mount it (the kernel says it's bound to sdc,
but sdc doesn't exist).
I'd like to access it. Does anyone know how that thing works ?

What does usbmon show when you modprobe usb-storage? (The instructions
for usbmon are in the kernel source file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.)

The ScreenDUO is reporting that no medium is present. Maybe it needs
you to insert some sort of flash memory card before it will work as a
mass-storage device.

Ah. Apparently it just waits for some driver from the Windows side (no
way to insert anything in there).
I guess it'll just be another useless piece of electronics at home.

for future use, what was it that made everyone decide that this is going to show up as a storage device?

with a screen and buttons I would have guessed a HID of some sort.

David Lang