Re: [patch 01/10] vfs: add path_create() and path_mknod()

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 18:22:23 EST

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 22:48 +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> I disagree. First of all, clear separation between operations on
> _filesystem_, which should all be namespace-agnostic and things
> that depend on vfsmount is a Good Thing(tm). Think of that as
> of separation between server (superblock and everything related
> to it, starting with dentry tree) and clients; mixing those is a
> bloody bad idea.

Speaking of which: is there any reason why we can't get rid of the
vfsmount reference in struct file?

Most file operations, don't involve namespace traversal at all: aside
from fchdir(), and the *at() functions (all of which take file
descriptors, not pointers to struct file) the only function of that
vfsmount reference appears to be to prevent the superblock from going
away.

Cheers
Trond