Re: wish: build time warning for missing MODULE_LICENSE

From: Dave Jones
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 22:23:33 EST

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:34:17PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:04:30PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:01:19PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > I just fixed a bug where I had accidentally removed a MODULE_LICENSE()
> > > from a file.
> > >
> > > The problem is that such bugs are currently not discovered until someone
> > > actually runs a kernel with this module loaded.
> > >
> > > Could we get a build time warning/error for a missing MODULE_LICENSE?
> >
> > Is it something as simple as this you are after?
> > [My dev box is dead atm so I have not done a kernel build
> > with this, only a single module].
>
> Thanks, it seems to work - and I'm currently working on fixing the bugs
> it catches.
>
> Considering that these are trivial to fix I'd even suggest a fatal()
> instead of the warn() for making them obvious for everyone doing build
> testing.

In the Fedora kernel specfile, we have something to catch this at build time.
Relevant pieces are (munged a bit for clarity) ..

find . -name "*.ko" -type f >modnames

while read i
do
echo -n "$i " >> modinfo
/sbin/modinfo -l $i >> modinfo
done < modnames

egrep -v \
'GPL( v2)?$|Dual BSD/GPL$|Dual MPL/GPL$|GPL and additional rights$' \
modinfo && exit 1

This hasn't been triggering though, so either it stopped working at some point,
or we don't build the module you mention. Which was it out of curiosity ?
Or was your slip-up an -mm only thing?

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk