Re: [RFC][0/3] Virtual address space control for cgroups (v2)

From: Paul Menage
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 10:51:14 EST

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Balbir Singh <balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Java (or at least, Sun's JRE) is an example of a common application
> > that does this. It creates a huge heap mapping at startup, and faults
> > it in as necessary.
> >

> Isn't this controlled by the java -Xm options?

Probably - that was just an example, and the behaviour of Java isn't
exactly unreasonable. A different example would be an app that maps a
massive database file, but only pages small amounts of it in at any
one time.

> I understand, but
>
> 1. The system by default enforces overcommit on most distros, so why should we
> not have something similar and that flexible for cgroups.

Right, I guess I should make it clear that I'm *not* arguing that we
shouldn't have a virtual address space limit subsystem.

My main arguments in this and my previous email were to back up my
assertion that there are a significant set of real-world cases where
it doesn't help, and hence it should be a separate subsystem that can
be turned on or off as desired.

It strikes me that when split into its own subsystem, this is going to
be very simple - basically just a resource counter and some file
handlers. We should probably have something like
include/linux/rescounter_subsys_template.h, so you can do:

#define SUBSYS_NAME va
#define SUBSYS_UNIT_SUFFIX in_bytes
#include <linux/rescounter_subsys_template.h>

then all you have to add are the hooks to call the rescounter
charge/uncharge functions and you're done. It would be nice to have a
separate trivial subsystem like this for each of the rlimit types, not
just virtual address space.

> And specifying
> > them manually requires either unusually clueful users (most of whom
> > have enough trouble figuring out how much physical memory they'll
> > need, and would just set very high virtual address space limits) or
> > sysadmins with way too much time on their hands ...
> >

> It's a one time thing to setup for sysadmins

Sure, it's a one-time thing to setup *if* your cluster workload is
completely static.

> > As I said, I think focussing on ways to tell apps that they're running
> > low on physical memory would be much more productive.
> >

> We intend to do that as well. We intend to have user space OOM notification.

We've been playing with a user-space OOM notification system at Google
- it's on my TODO list to push it to mainline (as an independent
subsystem, since either cpusets or the memory controller can be used
to cause OOMs that are localized to a cgroup). What we have works
pretty well but I think our interface is a bit too much of a kludge at
this point.

Paul