Re: Regression (gdm no longer shuts down) - 2.4.24.x and 2.6.25

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 04:26:47 EST

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:35:10 -0700 (PDT), Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Totally unrelated, but FYI: the chip at 0x50 is an EDID EEPROM in your
> > display (which the radeonfb driver can use to switch to the correct
> > resolution / refresh rate.)
> [...]
> > any of these chips. So, the mysterious effect of unloading the
> > i2c-viapro driver can't be explained by an i2c chip driver detaching
> > from its device. So, again, I really can't see how i2c can be involved
> > in your problem.
>
> Maybe the radeonfb driver is trying to talk to EDID EEPROMs on all I2C
> adapters it finds? When it tries to using the i2c-viapro adapter, it
> hangs.

No, the radeonfb driver only probes for EEPROMs on (at most) its 4 own
I2C buses. It doesn't even know about the other I2C buses on the system.

Note that I am using radeonfb and i2c-viapro myself, so if there was a
conflict between both drivers, I think would know by now. I've not
experienced the problem reported by Ken. But I don't use gdm.

Note that I am using the X.org radeon driver. Ken did not tell which X
driver he was using, maybe it matters.

--
Jean Delvare