Re: Real time USB2Serial devices and behaivor

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 00:12:01 EST

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:58:37PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > > Is there any reason to think that if I created my own isochronous
> > > USB2Serial adapter and iso-usb-driver that I couldn't get determinism?
> >
> > I strongly doubt it as others have tried and failed in the past.
>
> I don't understand. Isochronous transfers have pretty strict
> transfer-time guarantees. Why wouldn't this work?

I don't know, but the person who tried this a while ago said it wasn't
really "real-time" enough for their application (robot arm movement).

> One reason I can think of is that Iso transfers aren't reliable. But
> then regular RS232-type serial transfers aren't reliable either.
>
> The only other reason is that the USB stack itself has an unpredictable
> amount of overhead. However I think it should fall within an
> acceptable range for RT applications.

It's all about bounding the longest latency. Sometimes, under heavy
loads, latency can be pretty big. But now that we have the -rt kernel,
it might be a lot better than before, so that might be possible now,
haven't tried it...

good luck,

greg k-h