Re: RAID-1 performance under 2.4 and 2.6

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 18:35:58 EST

Emmanuel Florac wrote:
I post there because I couldn't find any information about this
elsewhere : on the same hardware ( Athlon X2 3500+, 512MB RAM, 2x400 GB
Hitachi SATA2 hard drives ) the 2.4 Linux software RAID-1 (tested 2.4.32
and 2.4.36.2, slightly patched to recognize the hardware :p) is way
faster than 2.6 ( tested 2.6.17.13, 2.6.18.8, 2.6.22.16, 2.6.24.3)
especially for writes. I actually made the test on several different
machines (same hard drives though) and it remained consistent across
the board, with /mountpoint a software RAID-1.
Actually checking disk activity with iostat or vmstat shows clearly a
cache effect much more pronounced on 2.4 (i.e. writing goes on much
longer in the background) but it doesn't really account for the
difference. I've also tested it thru NFS from another machine (Giga
ethernet network):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mountpoint/testfile bs=1M count=1024

kernel 2.4 2.6 2.4 thru NFS 2.6 thru NFS

write 90 MB/s 65 MB/s 70 MB/s 45 MB/s
read 90 MB/s 80 MB/s 75 MB/s 65 MB/s

Duh. That's terrible. Does it mean I should stick to (heavily
patched...) 2.4 for my file servers or... ? :)

Unfortunately this shows the same trend as kernel compile, small database operations, etc. If you are using a journaling filesystem on 2.6 and not 2.4 be sure you have the filesystem mounted "noatime" or retest with a non-journaled f/s. If you are running LVM in the test all bets are off as there are alignment issues (see linux-raid archives) to consider.

But the trend has unfortunately been slower, and responses demanding you use another benchmark, saying that kernel compile is not a benchmark, suggesting use of postgress or oracle instead of MySQL, etc, are seen.

I wish it were not so, there seems to be more effort going to explaining results than improving them. That said, tuning the location of the f/s, the stride, chunk size, etc, can improve things, and there are patches available for test (linux-raid again) which will address some of this fairly soon.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>