Re: checkpatch [was: include/asm-x86/serial.h: checkpatch cleanups- formatting only]

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 04:09:21 EST

On 03/23/2008 06:36 PM, Andi Kleen wrote:
Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
It just spits out warnings/errors like compiler or some static
analyzer, maybe I'm terribly missing something, what exactly do you
mind on the output?

A good example are the trailing white space warnings in there. They
are just useless and a waste of time. That is something that really
should just be done automatically by maintainer scripts somewhere on
merge (and a lot of maintainers do it automatically), not waste the
valuable time of a human.

Agreed.

There are also a couple of other pointless warnings. e.g. I dislike
some of the style warnings -- they are far too broad. Or there can be good reasons to violate them occasionally. e.g. I would
rather put not a space around an operator occasionally instead
of splitting an expression to avoid going over 80 characers.

Me too, there will ever be certain circumstances where the rules just doesn't
apply and you can't teach the scripts in that way (turning off doubtful warnings
sounds reasonable anyway).

Or the EXPORT_SYMBOL warning. WTF is that good for? Or the warning about if () ... else { ... }.

Understand you points, but most of it is strict implementation of CodingStyle. People, who don't prefer coding style as described in that document, won't like checkpatch either.

Also checkpatch.pl --file seems to be a good candidate for one
of the worst ideas ever merged (to be fair it was difficult
to see it would become that bad in advance -- but it got)

Definitely agree.