Re: [1/2] vmalloc: Show vmalloced areas via /proc/vmallocinfo

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 18:20:28 EST

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > > + proc_create("vmallocinfo",S_IWUSR|S_IRUGO, NULL,
> > why should non-root be able to read this? sounds like a security issue (info leak) to me...

What is the security concern here? This objection is rather vague.

> Well I copied from the slabinfo logic (leaking info for slabs is okay?).
>
> Lets restrict it to root then:
>

> Subject: vmallocinfo: Only allow root to read /proc/vmallocinfo
>
> Change permissions for /proc/vmallocinfo to only allow read
> for root.

That makes the feature somewhat less useful. Let's think this through more
carefully - it is, after all, an unrevokable, unalterable addition to the
kernel ABI.

Arjan, what scenarios are you thinking about?