Re: [SCSI] fix media change events for polled devices

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 17:13:25 EST

James Bottomley wrote:
On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 17:04 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
James Bottomley wrote:
It's fixed, and nothing else is additionally broken by the current fix.
Other than the newly-inconsistent, exported-to-userspace interface, ITYM.

How is it newly inconsistent? It can still be used in the manner you
intended it, namely to tell if the CD supports AN or not. When we add
the new bit, we'll have to add a new file for it anyway.

Previously, the events could be expected to be sent (or sent) in strict accordance with supported_events.

Now, you are essentially sending out-of-band events, because the receiver requested supported_events -- but is getting much more than that!

You broke a fundamental assumption of the interface -- that supported_events accurately and fully represented all events sent via the new API.

Jeff