Re: Device tree file customization for 2.6.18

From: Josh Boyer
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 10:44:42 EST

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:00:54 -0700
"Sreen Tallam" <tallam.sreen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been using 2.6.10 until now and moving over 2.6.18.
> And I trying to build a 2.6.18 kernel for a PowerPC 405GP.

2.6.18 is fairly old at this point.

> I discovered that there is a .dts file needed by the kernel.
> I have no idea how to customize this file. Any tips, suggestions or
> Documentation that I can look at?

There's Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt. Though if you're
going to use 2.6.18, I'd suggest sticking with arch/ppc instead of
arch/powerpc. The former doesn't require the device tree.

> I am using u-boot as my board's FW.
> Also, I have a Walnut like board for which I am building the kernel.

Walnut has a dts in the kernel already. You should be able to derive
from that fairly easily. If you really want to use an arch/powerpc
based kernel I suggest using 2.6.24 as your starting point.

josh