Re: Scalability requirements for sysv ipc

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 09:33:40 EST

Nadia Derbey wrote:
Manfred Spraul wrote:

A microbenchmark on a single-cpu system doesn't help much (except that 2.6.25 is around factor 2 slower for sysv msg ping-pong between two tasks compared to the numbers I remember from older kernels....)

If I remember well, at that time I had used ctxbench and I wrote some other small scripts.
And the results I had were around 2 or 3% slowdown, but I have to confirm that by checking in my archives.

Do you have access to multi-core systems? The "best case" for the rcu code would be
- 8 or 16 cores
- one instance of ctxbench running on each core, bound to that core.

I'd expect a significant slowdown. The big question is if it matters.

--
Manfred