Re: ehci-hcd affects hda speed

From: Rene Herman
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 07:34:59 EST

On 20-03-08 06:08, Alessandro Suardi wrote:

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do wonder -- is your hda throughput also the same before _ever_ attaching
anything to the EHCI controller and after? In my case, the slow down only
happened after switching on my external USB drive once, and would persist
from that time until reboot (or unloading ehci-hcd, which I kept modular for
exactly that reason).

The sleep time wasn't the core problem, so I wonder of later VIA chips do
still have the active async schedule problem...

Alessandro? You said there still was a difference for you between no EHCI at
all and EHCI after tweaking 4B as Lev showed. How much?

When used setpci to tweak the setting, my hdparm -t went
from 17 to 25MB/s on /dev/hda.

With your patch applied, now after booting it says 33MB/s for
hda and 37MB/s on hdb (and I can burn DVDs at a stable 6x
now, while growisofs backed off to 4x in less than a minute
before the patch).

If the patch does exactly what setpci did, then perhaps I had
other activity on hda at the moment I ran the test...

Yes, should be the exact same. It could be what I noted -- that you have the 33/37 just after booting, and a drop to 25 again after having switched on/used a EHCI device for the first time? That would be interesting.

Rene.