RE: MMC: Card detection through pin CD/DAT3 issue

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 03:27:49 EST

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Wappler Marcel wrote:
> Bodo Eggert wrote:

> >> I have found this requirement in the SD host controller spec:
> >> "The card detect is active regardless of the SD Bus Power."
> >>
> >> I wonder how the card should be able to pull up the CD/DAT3 Pad to
> >> VCC if its only VCC pad is not connected to VCC due to the fact that
> >> the host controller has switched off the cards power - any idea how
> >> this could be managed?
>
> > If the VCC pin is connected to 0 V, the "pullup" will pull
> > down to 0V.
> > If the controller reverses it's logic while VCC=0, it might work.
>
> I am concerned that in this case there would be neither a pull
> up nor a pull down at this signal. Due to floating gates that input
> could lead to millions of "card detection" events a second, if

As long as no card is inserted, the pin on the controller would be floating
and generating the same amount of interrupts, unless there is a (weak)
internal pulldown. You can do the same for the reversed logic, using
an internal pullup and abusing the card's pullup as a pulldown.

--
Never forget that your weapon is made by the lowest bidder.