Re: [0/2] vmalloc: Add /proc/vmallocinfo to display mappings

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 20:16:12 EST

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I was just about to ask whether we actually need the feature - I don't
> recall ever having needed it, nor do I recall seeing anyone else need it.
>
> Why is it useful?

It allows to see the users of vmalloc. That is important if vmalloc space
is scarce (i386 for example).

And its going to be important for the compound page fallback to vmalloc.
Many of the current users can be switched to use compound pages with
fallback. This means that the number of users of vmalloc is reduced and
page tables no longer necessary to access the memory.
/proc/vmallocinfo allows to review how that reduction occurs.

If memory becomes fragmented and larger order allocations are no longer
possible then /proc/vmallocinfo allows to see which compound
page allocations fell back to virtual compound pages. That is important
for new users of virtual compound pages. Such as order 1 stack allocation
etc that may fallback to virtual compound pages in the future.