RE: MMC: Card detection through pin CD/DAT3 issue

From: Wappler Marcel
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 08:24:50 EST

Hi Pierre,

>> With this detection scheme I have some dificulties togehter
>> with the internal working of the current MMC stack:
>> The controller cannot detect a newly inserted card if the card power
>> is switched of. This is due to the fact that the SD card applies the
>> internal card detection pull up after it powered up. If there is no
>> power -> no powering up -> no pull up. (besides the fact that a pull
>> up needs power to for doing its work :-) )
>>

> Then you have broken hardware. The specs clearly state that the
> controller must be able to detect cards without powering up the
> cards. Also, the cards must implement the pull-up in a way that
> behaves like a resistor. So there should be no requirement for
> full power there either.

I have found this requirement in the SD host controller spec:
"The card detect is active regardless of the SD Bus Power."

I wonder how the card should be able to pull up the CD/DAT3 Pad to VCC
if its only VCC pad is not connected to VCC due to the fact that the host
controller has switched off the cards power - any idea how this could be
managed?

There is a SD card spec section somewhere which statet that:
"If one of the supply pins (VDD or VSS) is not connected properly, then
the current is drawn through a data line to supply the card."

Maybe this is the key in understanding ho the pull up without VCC connected
works?

Thanks,
marcel