Re: 2.6.24 says "serial8250: too much work for irq4" a lot.

From: Rob Landley
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 15:14:31 EST

On Thursday 07 February 2008 11:37:12 H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > actually, the way i solved it for qemu+KVM+paravirt was to just turn off
> > this rather silly check in the serial driver if inside a paravirt guest.
> > When we are emulated then the serial 'hardware' is totally reliable and
> > we should just trust it. That way i never dropped a single bit of kernel
> > log output again.
>
> Yes, but keying that on paravirt is silly in the extreme. After all,
> there is no need for this to be paravirtualized.
>
> -hpa

Specifically, qemu isn't paravirtualized, it's fully virtualized. The same
kernel can run on real hardware just fine. (Sort of the point of the
project...)

I can yank the warning for the kernels I build (or set PASS_LIMIT to 9999999),
but I'd rather not carry any more patches than I can avoid...

Rob
- Ken Thompson.