Re: [git pull] CPU isolation extensions

From: Max Krasnyansky
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 12:36:27 EST

Hi Linus,

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Max Krasnyansky wrote:
>> Linus, please pull CPU isolation extensions from
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/maxk/cpuisol-2.6.git for-linus
>
> Have these been in -mm and widely discussed etc? I'd like to start more
> carefully, and (a) have that controversial last patch not merged initially
> and (b) make sure everybody is on the same page wrt this all..

They've been discussed with RT/scheduler/cpuset folks.
Andrew is definitely in the loop. He just replied and asked for some fixes and
clarifications. He seems to be ok with merging this in general.

The last patch may not be as bad as I originally thought. We'll discuss it some
more with Andrew. I'll also check with Rusty who wrote the stopmachine in the
first place. It actually seems like an overkill at this point. My impression is
that it was supposed to be a safety net if some refcounting/locking is not fully
safe and may not be needed or as critical anymore.
I'm maybe wrong of course. So I'll find that out :)

Thanx
Max