Re: [Scst-devel] Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel

From: Nicholas A. Bellinger
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 21:02:27 EST

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 10:29 +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:09:15 +0100
> Matteo Tescione <matteo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 5-02-2008 14:38, "FUJITA Tomonori" <tomof@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I don't know what "iSCSI initiator connections are corrupted"
> > > mean. But if you reboot a server, how can an iSCSI target
> > > implementation keep iSCSI tcp connections?

The TCP connection will drop, remember that the TCP connection state for
one side has completely vanished. Depending on iSCSI/iSER
ErrorRecoveryLevel that is set, this will mean:

1) Session Recovery, ERL=0 - Restarting the entire nexus and all
connections across all of the possible subnets or comm-links. All
outstanding un-StatSN acknowledged commands will be returned back to the
SCSI subsystem with RETRY status. Once a single connection has been
reestablished to start the nexus, the CDBs will be resent.

2) Connection Recovery, ERL=2 - CDBs from the failed connection(s) will
be retried (nothing changes in the PDU) to fill the iSCSI CmdSN ordering
gap, or be explictly retried with TMR TASK_REASSIGN for ones already
acknowledged by the ExpCmdSN that are returned to the initiator in
response packets or by way of unsolicited NopINs.

> > Don't know if matters, but in my setup (iscsi on top of drbd+heartbeat)
> > rebooting the primary server doesn't affect my iscsi traffic, SCST correctly
> > manages stop/crash, by sending unit attention to clients on reconnect.
> > Drbd+heartbeat correctly manages those things too.
> > Still from an end-user POV, i was able to reboot/survive a crash only with
> > SCST, IETD still has reconnect problems and STGT are even worst.
>
> Please tell us on stgt-devel mailing list if you see problems. We will
> try to fix them.

FYI, the LIO code also supports rmmoding iscsi_target_mod while at full
10 Gb/sec speed. I think it should be a requirement to be able to
control per initiator, per portal group, per LUN, per device, per HBA in
the design without restarting any other objects.

--nab