Re: SLUB: Support for statistics to help analyze allocator behavior

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 16:58:21 EST

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> > We could do that.... Any idea how to display that kind of information in a
> > meaningful way. Parameter conventions for slabinfo?
>
> We could just print out one total summary and one summary for each CPU (and
> maybe show % of total allocations/fees. That way you can immediately spot if
> some CPUs are doing more allocations/freeing than others.

Ok that would work for small amounts of cpus. Note that we are moving
to quad core, many standard enterprise servers already have 8 and will
likely have 16 next year. Our machine can have thousands of processors
(new "practical" limit is 4k cpus although we could reach 16k cpus
easily). I was a bit scared to open that can of worms.