Re: [2.6.24-rc8-mm1][regression?] numactl --interleave=all doesn'tworks on memoryless node.

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 16:04:30 EST

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Paul Jackson wrote:

> David wrote:
> > The more alarming result of these remaps is in the MPOL_BIND case, as
> > we've talked about before. The language in set_mempolicy(2):
>
> You're diving into the middle of a rather involved discussion
> we had on the other various patches proposed to extend the
> interaction of mempolicy's with cpusets and hotplug.

I've simply identified that MPOL_BIND mempolicy interactions with a task's
changing mems_allowed as a result of a cpuset move or mems change is also
an issue that can be addressed at the same time as the interleave problem.

And it can be done with the addition of a single MPOL_F_* flag.

> I choose not to hijack this current thread with my rebuttal,
> which you've seen before, of your points here.

The issues of mempolicies working over memoryless nodes and supporting
changing cpusets are very closely related and can be addressed in the same
way. It would be disappointing to see a lot of work done to fix the
memoryless node issue or the changing cpuset mems issue and then realize
both could have been fixed quite simply with a relatively small set of
changes.

David