Re: [git pull] x86 arch updates for v2.6.25

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 12:53:48 EST

John Stoffel wrote:

Linus> So I'd merge a patch that puts oops information (or the whole
Linus> console printout) in the Intel management stuff in a
Linus> heartbeat.

How about we put in some sort of console logging tool so we can buffer
and log the console output better? Currently if I have both a serial
and tty console defined, my GDM prompter looses the mouse until I goto
the XDMCP chooser and back again.

I'm pretty sure it's a GDM problem, since Xdm doesn't have this issue
at all. Haven't had time to chase it though.

In any case, having some way to log oopses better would be really
nice. Not sure how we could do it reliably for suspend/resume needs
on laptops without dedicated management hardware like the ILOM stuff
on Intel/Sun boxes.

Hm. Dumping oops information plus perhaps even a memory dump to a USB key sounds like it would be highly useful - lots of storage capacity, readily available, and can be plugged into just about any system.

I don't know if the backdoor debugging mode in EHCI can be used for that. Either way, this would have to be done *very* carefully to avoid clobbering USB devices not intended for this purpose.

-hpa