Re: [QUESTION] I have a question about making device driver

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 05:58:40 EST

On 02/05/2008 10:39 AM, ohyama_sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
--- check program ---
#include <linux/types.h>
#include <asm/io.h>
#include <stdio.h>
A userspace program? I thought this was about kernel device drivers.

Yes, It is a userspace program to see what I can write parallel port device controller or not.

And, I'm sorry , I should not have explained my device driver in text, but should have written source code.
So that, the following is source code of the device driver. It works only to obtain I/O resource (I/O address and IRQ).

int main(void){
int base = 0x378;
char read, write;

ioperm(base, 1, 1);

if (ioperm(...)) {
perror("ioperm");
return 1;
}

and retest.

write = 0xa;
outb(write, base);
read = inb(base);
if((read & 0xf) == write){
[...]

--- kernel module (device driver) ---

[...]

#define SHORT_NR_PORTS 8

static int major = 0;

unsigned long short_base = 0x378;

volatile int short_irq = 7;
static struct cdev *obj_cdev;

MODULE_AUTHOR ("hiroyasu ohyama");
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL2");

struct file_operations my_fops = {
.owner = THIS_MODULE,
};

irqreturn_t short_sh_interrupt(int irq, void *dev_id, struct pt_regs *regs)
{
printk(KERN_INFO "interrupt\n");

return 0;
}

int short_init(void)
{
int result;
int err;
int dev_num;
dev_t dev;

if (! request_region(short_base, SHORT_NR_PORTS, "hiro_test")) {
printk(KERN_INFO "can't get I/O port address 0x%lx\n",
short_base);
return -ENODEV;
}

alloc_chrdev_region(&dev, 0, 1, "hiro_test");

why do you register chrdev?

major = MAJOR(dev);

dev_num = MKDEV(major, 0);

obj_cdev = cdev_alloc();