Re: [BUG] 2.6.24 refuses to boot - ATA problem?

From: Mark Lord
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 14:13:39 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 03 February 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I believe its the same, but lemme paste it for sure, yes:
[ 26.339926] ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
[ 26.340119] ..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=0 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
[ 26.350129] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
[ 26.350182] ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ... failed. [ 26.350185] ...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ...
failed. [ 26.360186] ...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... works.

The third line is the only line that makes it to the screen during the
boot trace.

Now, what does this tell us?
the question would be:

- if you remove the acpi_use_timer_override boot flag
- and if you boot a kernel with this hack applied

=> do those weird PATA failures come back?

If the failues do _not_ come back then the problem is somehow
affected/worked-around by the IO-APIC code that generates the above 4
lines. If the failures are still the same then the above 4 lines are
really just an uninteresting side-effect of the acpi_use_timer_override
flag - and the real side-effects (that fixes PATA on your box) are to be
found elsewhere.

Sadly, the latter variant is the expected answer.

Ingo

And at this point, I can't tell. This reboot was from a cold start, without the argument, and cold by long enough to make the rounds about the house and pick up a beer, but not take my evening pillbox. A minute cold, maybe 2 max. The log is clean since except for a kudzu nag of some sort:
..

Just to muddy your observations: it is quite possible that a cold (power-off)
reboot may be required to properly observe what happens here.

Cheers