Questions regarding mfd drivers

From: Kristoffer Ericson
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 06:37:52 EST

Greetings,

Trying to wrap my head around sm501. From what I can tell an mfd driver is a "master" driver that takes control of all
memory and io areas. It then hands out areas of those to drivers. Anywhere near correct?

I can see some benefit but still hard for me to motivate. What am I missing? What will the mfd be able to do, that I lack now?

The sm501 driver seems way more advanced than I will need for hd64461/hd64465 anyhow, but still need to understand sm501 completely before
attempting to write one on my own. Anyone know any documentation aside from example drivers?

Best wishes
Kristoffer