[QUESTION] I have a question about making device driver

From: ohyama_sec
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 05:14:52 EST

I have a question about device driver.

I'm writing device driver for parallel port on Linux.

In initial function which is argument of module_init() in my device driver, I reserved I/O address region, 0x378-0x37a, with using request_region() and regist my charactor device driver calling register_chrdev().

After I compile and link it. I insert this module and I can confirm that I obtaind the range of I/O address at /proc/ioports.
But I cannot write data on I/O address line, It means that following check program shows "false".

--- check program ---
#include <linux/types.h>
#include <asm/io.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void){
int base = 0x378;
char read, write;

ioperm(base, 1, 1);

write = 0xa;
outb(write, base);
read = inb(base);

if((read & 0xf) == write){
printf("true\n");
}else{
printf("false\n");
}
return 0;
}
---

At this time, I unloaded kernel modules which are related to parallel port. they are 'ppdev', 'lp', 'parport_pc' and 'parport'.

What should I do at initial funtion in my module to do I/O.
(The version of kernel that I use is 2.6.19-7.)

===
by Hiroyasu Ohyama