wrong cylinders of kingston usb pendrive [intel 82801DB]

From: Patrick Ringl
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 19:50:48 EST

Hello,

I am suffering from the following (usb-related?) problem:

I have several different mashines - all x86 architecture - just lets call them mashineA, mashineB and mashineC.
Anyway, mashineA has a severe problem with a Kingston-USB-pendrive(2gig). I simply cant install anything on it - the kernel usually moans with problems like "attempt to access beyond end of device" - while it does work fine with several noname usb-pendrives of the same size.
Now, I just tested that kingston pendrive on mashineB and mashineC - where it runs fine .. I can install debian to it (same installation media) without any problem or kernel errors.

I compared the output of dmesg and fdisk from mashineA and mashineB and C .. and the difference is simple: mashineA always shows 248 cylinders - while all the other mashines show 228 cylinders.

So I guess this is the problem and especially the reason why using it on mashineA always fails.

mashineA has the following usb chipset:

vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = '82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB 2.0 EHCI Controller'

Hopefully you have any suggestions.

PS: I am not subscribed so please CC to me.

regards,
Patrick