Unable to boot kernel 2.6.24 (lvm unable to find VolGroup00)

From: Sam K. Raju
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 10:46:24 EST

Hi All,

As soon as the new kernel released I decided to give it a try. I had
RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 with two kernel, 2.6.9-55.ELsmp & 2.6.17.3.
I downloaded the new kernel 2.6.24, configured and installed. But
while booting, Kernel panic giving the following error:

VFS: Cannot open root device "Volgroup00/LogVol00" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I searched on the linux forum and found that I hadn't added the
multiple device support (RAID & LVM) and RAM disk support. So I added
them as module and again compiled the kernel but while booting it is
now giving the following error:

Activating logical volumes
Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally! (pid 421)

I was using a custom compiled kernel 2.6.17.3 earlier. I even tried to
compile the 2.6.24 kernel with the .config file of 2.6.17.3 kernel
(may be a foolish idea) but it didn't worked too. I got the same error
message as above.

I even tried 'make defconfig' for configuring the kernel but it didn't
worked either.

Can anybody help me, what I am missing this time. :-(

Thanks,
Sam