Re: Are Section mismatches out of control?

From: Harvey Harrison
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 06:22:27 EST

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 03:03 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:47:18 +0100 Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > James said in a related posting that the Section mismatch
> > warnings were getting out of control.
>
> eh. They're easy - the build system tells you about them!
>
> > The list is here:
>
> Question is: why do people keep adding new ones when they are so easy to
> detect and fix?
>
> Asnwer: because neither they nor their patch integrators are doing adequate
> compilation testing.

Because if there already exists more than a handful peoples' eyes glaze
over and ignore "just one more warning"

Unless they break the build, or if there currently are 0 and they make
it non-zero, people seem not to care....sad. Probably the same for
sparse/checkpatch, "there's plenty already, I can't be bothered to look"

Subject to someone _making_ it an issue, can't see it changing.

Harvey