Are Section mismatches out of control?

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 05:47:26 EST

James said in a related posting that the Section mismatch
warnings were getting out of control.

So I decided to take a closer look at current
status. Latest mainline with Adrian + mine fixes applied.

Target was x86 - an allyesconfig build.
I looked at the reported Section mismatch warnings per
directory so see where it was looking bad.

The list is here:

Directory Warnings
================= ========
block/ 0
fs/ 0
init/ 0
lib/ 0
net/ 2
sound/ 3
crypto/ 0
ipc/ 0
kernel/ 0
mm/ 0
usr/ 0
security/ 0
drivers/net/ 11
drivers/ata/ 2
drivers/base/ 0
drivers/block/ 0
drivers/cdrom/ 0
drivers/crypto/ 0
drivers/hid/ 0
drivers/input/ 0
drivers/lguest/ 0
drivers/leds/ 0
drivers/media/ 0
drivers/pci/ 0
drivers/pcmcia/ 9
drivers/power/ 0
drivers/ps3/ 0
drivers/rtc/ 1
drivers/scsi/ 3
drivers/isdn/ 34
drivers/serial/ 10
drivers/spi/ 0
drivers/usb/ 0
drivers/video/ 14
drivers/telephony/ 0
drivers/watchdog/ 0
drivers/w1/ 0
drivers/dca 0
drivers/edac/ 0
drivers/acpi/ 2
drivers/char/ 3
drivers/cpufreq 3
drivers/hwmon/ 1
drivers/infiniband/ 0
drivers/md 0
drivers/message/ 0
drivers/misc/ 0
drivers/mmc/ 0
drivers/mtd/ 0
drivers/parport/ 0
drivers/pnp/ 0

As expected the majority is in drivers/
And as is obvious from the above the warnings are
concentrated on a few places:
drivers/isdn/ has the top score.
Then we have video/, net/ serial/ and pcmia.

With thos four directories clean we are down with
78 less warnings.

The total figure for this build is 106 warnings.
In my book things are not out of control.
So stop complaining and lets see some fixes.

I will look at drivers/isdn as next step.

Sam