Re: Pull request: TASK_KILLABLE

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 21:02:22 EST

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:45:04 -0500 Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 11:48 +1100, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > >
> > > To allow tasks to be interrupted by fatal signals, we introduce a new
> > > TASK_* bit; TASK_WAKEKILL. We also add a predicate fatal_signal_pending;
> > > the counterpart of signal_pending(). Then we add killable versions
> > > of lock_page(), mutex_lock(), schedule_timeout(), wait_event(), and
> > > wait_for_completion(). Finally, we can make the NFS 'intr' mount option
> > > a no-op.
> >
> > Ok, I've pulled this. It conflicted with some NFS changes, but I did what
> > appeared to be the obvious conflict resolution, and it all at least
> > compiles and it looked sane to me. But I don't have NFS enabled normally,
> > and I certainly don't have a good way to test with my laptop while in
> > Melbourne, so Trond/Matthew, can you please double- and triple-check my
> > merge?
>
> Hmm... The current code won't compile as a module. We're at least going
> to require something like the attached patch.

> +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(__fatal_signal_pending);

No such export was needed in the patches which I added to -mm. So
something changed between then and now.

And going back through the mailing list all I can find is a series of five
patches in October - it's unclear where and when the other 17 were
reviewed, if they were.

Sorry, but I don't think this work has been suitably reviewed and tested.