Re: Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel

From: Bart Van Assche
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 12:41:28 EST

On Jan 31, 2008 6:14 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger <nab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, with STGT being a pretty new design which has not undergone alot
> of optimization, perhaps profiling both pieces of code against similar
> tests would give us a better idea of where userspace bottlenecks reside.
> Also, the overhead involved with traditional iSCSI for bulk IO from
> kernel / userspace would also be a key concern for a much larger set of
> users, as iSER and SRP on IB is a pretty small userbase and will
> probably remain small for the near future.

Two important trends in data center technology are server
consolidation and storage consolidation. A.o. every web hosting
company can profit from a fast storage solution. I wouldn't call this
a small user base.

Regarding iSER and SRP on IB: InfiniBand is today the most economic
solution for a fast storage network. I do not know which technology
will be the most popular for storage consolidation within a few years
-- this can be SRP, iSER, IPoIB + SDP, FCoE (Fibre Channel over
Ethernet) or maybe yet another technology. No matter which technology
becomes the most popular for storage applications, there will be a
need for high-performance storage software.