Re: about relocs.c on x86

From: Harvey Harrison
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 05:02:33 EST

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:52 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Yinghai Lu <yhlu.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > why not rename relocs.c to relocs_32.c?
> >
> > it is only used for 32 bit, even it is host app.
>
> during the big first phase of unification we generally kept file names
> untouched if they were only present in one of the previous
> architectures. I.e. pure 32-bit and pure 64-bit files were not renamed
> to _32/_64.
>
> Now that we've got lots of unified 32/64-bit files it might make sense
> to rename the 'standalone' ones into _32/_64 if they share the same
> directory with 32/64-bit source files - to reduce the confusion. And
> given that for example arch/x86/boot/compressed/misc.c is unified while
> arch/x86/boot/compressed/relocs.c is 32-bit only, i'd agree with your
> observation. Feel free to send a rename patch for such cases.

I'd argue that eliminating the _32/_64 suffixes through unification and
not adding any more would be better. Renaming at this point seems like
the wrong side of the cost/benefit line. When the makefiles finally get
unified, that would be a natural list of what is 32 bit-only and what
is 64 bit-only, and additional suffixes wouldn't add much to that.

Just another voice,

Harvey