Re: [kvm-devel] [patch 1/6] mmu_notifier: Core code

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 20:27:50 EST

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > Hmmmm.. exit_mmap is only called when the last reference is removed
> > against the mm right? So no tasks are running anymore. No pages are left.
> > Do we need to serialize at all for mmu_notifier_release?
>
> KVM sure doesn't need any locking there. I thought somebody had to
> possibly take a pin on the "mm_count" and pretend to call
> mmu_notifier_register at will until mmdrop was finally called, in a
> out of order fashion given mmu_notifier_release was implemented like
> if the list could change from under it. Note mmdrop != mmput. mmput
> and in turn mm_users is the serialization point if you prefer to drop
> all locking from _release. Nobody must ever attempt a mmu_notifier_*
> after calling mmput for that mm. That should be enough to be
> safe. I'm fine either ways...

exit_mmap (where we call invalidate_all() and release()) is called when
mm_users == 0:

void mmput(struct mm_struct *mm)
{
might_sleep();

if (atomic_dec_and_test(&mm->mm_users)) {
exit_aio(mm);
exit_mmap(mm);
if (!list_empty(&mm->mmlist)) {
spin_lock(&mmlist_lock);
list_del(&mm->mmlist);
spin_unlock(&mmlist_lock);
}
put_swap_token(mm);
mmdrop(mm);
}
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(mmput);

So there is only a single thread executing at the time when
invalidate_all() is called from exit_mmap(). Then we drop the
pages, and the page tables. After the page tables we call the ->release
method and then remove the vmas.

So even dropping off the mmu_notifier chain in invalidate_all() could be
done without an issue and without locking.

Trouble is if other callbacks attempt the same. Do we need to support the
removal from the mmu_notifier list in invalidate_range()?