Re: [RFC v2 4/5] dmaengine: Driver for the Synopsys DesignWare DMA controller

From: Dan Williams
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 13:53:39 EST

On Jan 29, 2008 11:10 AM, Haavard Skinnemoen <hskinnemoen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]
> The dmatest client shows no problems, but the performance is not as
> good as it should be yet -- iperf shows a slight slowdown when
> enabling TCP receive copy offload. This is probably because the
> controller is set up to always do byte transfers; I'll try to optimize
> this, but if someone can tell me if there any guaranteed alignment
> requirements for the users of the DMA engine API, that would help a
> lot.

dmaengine punts to the dma-mapping api. So no, there are no alignment
guarantees. The performance loss is probably more related to the
cache synchronization overkill of get_user_pages(). I/O incoherent
architectures end up synchronizing entire pages when we only need to
sync a kilobyte or two in this path.

--
Dan