Re: ndiswrapper and GPL-only symbols redux

From: Pavel Roskin
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 20:48:33 EST

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 19:20 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:

> Yes it is. But I thought the existing code was intending to taint the
> kernel (that's what it does), so it would really help to identify why it
> tainted the kernel, by calling add_taint_module instead of add_taint. I
> didn't put the existing match in there...don't shoot the messenger :)

So, it's the same thing as in year 2006. Good intentions, unexpected
side effects, and a long discussion.

> > - ndiswrapper needs GPL-only symbols
>
> Another fix would be for ndiswrapper to explicitly set the taint when it
> loads a tainted driver? Or do we just want to go back to globally
> "tainting" the kernel without assigning the blame to any module?

It taints the kernel, but not the module. I could add tainting the
module to the ndiswrapper code, but it would reply on the internals of
the "struct module". And I think we really don't want modules tainting
and untainting themselves by changing THIS_MODULE->taints. It's a
Pandora's box that's better kept closed.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin